Yellow Cake Recipe
The yellow cake recipe is a popular choice for cake decorating. The subtle flavor lends itself well to all types of fillings and frostings.
This cake is commonly referred to as a butter cake recipe or a vanilla cake recipe.
You can use this recipe as a base to create a variety of other flavors.
Use cake flour that does not have leavening added to its ingredients. Have all ingredients at room temperature for best results.
Makes Two 8" cakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 8" cake pans.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add softened butter and half of milk to the bowl. Beat on low until ingredients are combined.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add another 1/4 c. milk and beat on medium speed for one minute.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions.
- Add remaining 1/4. c. milk. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed to aerate the batter. Scrape down the bowl and beat, as necessary.
- Pour batter into the pans and bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the enter of the cake.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans before inverting onto a wire cake rack.(Flip the cake over twice so the flat side faces down. This will prevent the cake from cracking down the middle as it cools).
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before filling and frosting.
Other yellow cake recipe flavor options:
You can easily vary this recipe by replacing the vanilla extract with almond extract, for a hint of almond flavor.
To create a marble cake recipe, follow the directions for the yellow cake recipe. Pour 1/3 of the batter into each cake pan. Return the bowl to the electric mixer and add 1/2 c. cocoa powder. Beat on low until just combined. Spoon 1/2 the chocolate batter atop the yellow cake batter in each cake pan. Use a butter knife to swirl the chocolate batter into the yellow cake batter. Do not overmix the two batters or you will just create a lighter colored chocolate cake in the center of a yellow cake. Bake the cakes as per the yellow cake recipe, above.
More Recipes Like This