This is the best tiramisu' you will ever taste! Years ago, I tasted tiramisu' made this way in Venice.
I played around with several recipes until I came up with this one. It's better than anything you will taste in a restaurant and people constantly ask me for the recipe. This cake is not made with lady fingers, rather it uses a light Italian cake called Pan di Spagna.
Pan di Spagna - Italian sponge cake - first 6 ingredients
- Sift the flour and cornstarch together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks together with the vanilla. Add 3/4 c. sugar and beat for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks are formed. Add 3/4 cup sugar in a steady stream until stiff peaks are formed.
- Gently fold the egg mixtures together. Fold in flour mixture in, one-third at a time.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured 9" pans at 350 degrees F for about 25 - 30 minutes. Cool the cakes 10 minutes in the pans and then invert onto a wire cake rack.
- When the cakes are cooled, cut each layer in half using a serrated knife.
Place the 2/3 c. sugar, water and espresso in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to cool before adding rum.
- Place the egg yolks, marsala, and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over simmering water. Whisk until pale yellow. (This takes quite a while, so use a handheld electric beater). Continue whisking the mixer off the heat until cool.
- Combine the egg mixture with the marscapone cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks are formed. Fold the egg mixture into the heavy cream, one-third at a time.
To assemble the tiramisu', place the first layer on the cake plate so the cut side is facing up. Generously spread the espresso syrup all over the cake. In between each layer, spread the zabaglione filling. On the top of the cake, use a sieve to sprinkle cocoa powder. You can also add chocolate curls on top.
Tiramisu' tastes best on the day it's made. Although this recipe is time consuming to make, it's well worth the effort!
More Recipes Like This