Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This delicious pineapple upside down cake recipe is made in a skillet. It's quite sweet...but irresistible!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain the pineapple, except for 2 Tbsp. juice. Combine juice with sour cream.
- In a 9" cast iron skillet, melt 1/2 of the butter. Remove from heat and blend in the brown sugar. Lay the pineapple slices out in the skillet and place a cherry in the center of each one.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine remaining butter and 1/2 c. sugar until fluffy. Add the egg yolks, lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla.Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture to the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites to form soft peaks. Gradually add remaining 1/4 c. sugar. Beat to form stiff peaks.Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Spread the batter in the skillet.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out of cake clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan before inverting on to a cake plate.
Pineapple upside down cake has always been my father's favorite. I've been making it for him since I was a kid. The sweetness of the top of the cake will remind you of candy. It's always fun to make because you can't tell how good the cake will look until you flip it out of the pan.
More Recipes Like This