Old Fashioned Coconut Cake
If you enjoy the tropical flavors of coconut and pineapple, try a coconut cake recipe for a delicious change of pace. Nothing you buy can compare to coconut cake homemade by you.
2 1⁄2 cCake Flour
2 1⁄4 tBaking Powder
1 cbutter (softened)
1 1⁄2 tVanilla Extract
3⁄4 cshredded coconut
1 1⁄2 tlemon rind
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9" cake pans.
- Sift together the flour,baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer,cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar to the butter and beat until consistency is light. To the butter mixture, add one egg yolk at a time, beating in between additions.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture at a time to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. End by adding the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the beater.
- Add the coconut and lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Bake the old fashioned coconut cake until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cakes.
- Cool the cakes for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire cake racks.
Coconut cream cheese icing is a natural pairing with this cake.
More Recipes Like This