Light and Fluffy Vanilla Layer Cake
This wonderful vanilla cake is a perfect recipe book staple as it turns out light, fluffy and wonderfully moist every time. This particular vanilla cake contains a rather large amount of eggs (six in total) but don’t be too worried as they only serve to make the finished cake full of flavor.
If you’re not too keen on nutmeg, although the flavor within the cake itself is very subtle, you can replace it with a pinch of salt for a pure, simple vanilla sponge.
2 8-Inch Cake Tins (Greased and lined with baking parchment)
- Preheat the oven to 180c or 340F.
- Begin by beating the butter for around a minute until it becomes soft. Add the sugar and beat on medium using an electric hand whisk or stand mixer for 8 – 10 minutes until pale, light and fluffy.
- Whilst the butter is beating in the stand mixer (or after it’s mixed using a hand whisk) sift the flour, nutmeg and baking powder to a bowl. Mix until combined briefly using a large spoon. Set aside until needed.
- Add the three whole eggs one by one, beating until each is completely combined. Then add a heaped teaspoon of the flour mixture to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Next, continue to add the remaining egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat for 2-3 minutes until combined.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the egg and butter mixture. Fold by hand, using a large metal spoon.
- Add half of the room temperature milk (place the milk in the microwave for 10 seconds if it is too cold) and mix very gently until combined.
- Then add another third of the flour mixture and fold again by hand. Finish by adding the remaining milk and fold in the flour until just incorporated.
- Gently transfer the cake mixture to two 8 inch tins and be careful not to nock any air out of the mixture.
- Bake for 23 – 30 minutes until pale, slightly golden brown. Insert a skewer or cocktail stick into the centre of the cake to check if cooked.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in the tins and then transfer to a wire rack.
Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream
150g/5oz Unsalted Butter (Preferably butter instead of margarine)
210g/7.5oz Powdered Sugar
- Teaspoons Whole Milk
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract/ Seeds of 1 vanilla Pod
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer (or by hand) on low speed for 2 minutes. Then add the icing sugar and beat on low for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and turn the speed up to medium. Beat for 8 – 10 minutes until creamy. Remember to ensure the grains of powdered sugar are incorporated by testing it at this point!
- Turn the mixer down to low speed and mix again for another 5 minutes.
To Assemble the Cake
2 Vanilla Cake Layers
6 Tablespoons Strawberry Jelly
Spread the buttercream over one layer of the vanilla cake. Top with a thin layer of the strawberry jelly and place the other layer on top. Dust with a light sprinkling of Powdered Sugar and serve either on its own or with a little cream.
More Recipes Like This