Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
This gingerbread cookie recipe is a family favorite during the Christmas holiday season. Use this recipe to make the mini gingerbread houses; steps are included to make the parts of the gingerbread house.
Cut the butter into small cubes and add it to a large saucepan along with the Molasses, brown sugar, superfine sugar and vanilla extract. Set to one side until needed.
- Corn syrup can be really sticky and difficult to measure out so it helps to use a warm tablespoon. Hold a tablespoon under boiling water for a few seconds to prevent the corn syrup from sticking as you measure it out.
- Use a fine mesh sieve to sift the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together into a fairly large, heatproof bowl. Set aside whilst completing the next step.
- Take the saucepan filled with the butter and sugars and place on a low-medium heat until it all comes together. Stir the mixture occasionally with a wooden spoon to help incorporate all the ingredients. The mixture should appear smooth glossy and completely melted when you have finished.
- Allow the melted butter and sugar mixture to cool slightly for 5 minutes until it is no longer piping hot.
- Create a well in the middle of the bowl of sifted flour and spices prepared earlier. Then add the melted butter and sugar mixture and beat all the ingredients together with a large spoon.
- Keep stirring the mixture until it forms a stiff dough. Add a tablespoon of water if you feel it isn’t quite coming together.
- Tip the dough onto a sheet of cling wrap and flatten it out slightly using your hands. Keep in mind that the thinner the dough is the more quickly it will chill when placed in the fridge. Wrap the dough tightly in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator after 30 minutes or so – it should feel fairly cool to the touch.
- Sprinkle a little flour over a large work surface and roll the dough out until it is roughly 2mm thick.
- The dough needs to be thinner than usual because the gingerbread houses are so small.
- Cut around each gingerbread house template until you have a selection of gingerbread house pieces.
- Ensure that you cut two front pieces (one for the front and one for the back) two sides and two roof pieces for each house.
- Back the gingerbread pieces in a preheated oven at 180c/350F for 8-10 minutes.
More Recipes Like This