Crumb Coffee Cake Recipe
I get frequent requests for this coffee cake. Whenever I make it, it disappears in a flash!
5 Tcold butter
2 call purpose flour
1 1⁄4 cgranulated sugar
2 tBaking Powder
1 cfirmly packed brown sugar
1⁄4 call purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9" baking pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place the butter. Chop it into pieces with a pastry blender. (This can be prepared in a mixing bowl on low speed, but it goes quickly by hand).
- Add the flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt to the bowl. Blend in with the pastry blender.
- When the butter is thoroughly distributed through the mixture, add the milk and egg. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Spread the batter into the baking pan.
- Prepare the crumb topping. (Last 5 ingredients listed).
- In a small bowl, combine the 4 Tbsp. butter,brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 cup flour. Use the pasty blender to combine the butter with the dry ingredients. The crumbs should be lumpy. If the mixture is too powdery, add another tablespoon of butter. If it is too wet, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Spread the crumb topping evenly on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow the cake to cool and remain in the pan. When cool, you can dust the top of the cake with confectioner's sugar. Place a few teaspoon int a sieve and sprinkle top of cake. Cake can be served directly from the pan. (You may remove it from the pan, if desired, but crumbs may break off the top, if you do so).
To make a gourmet coffee cake, with a thick layer of crumbs, double or triple the crumb topping recipe, according to your preference.
More Recipes Like This