Chocolate Icing Recipe made with Cocoa Powder
The ever-popular, chocolate icing recipe is really quite simple to make. I have been making this recipe for my kids since they were young. Any time they are offered cake or cupcakes frosted with store-bought chocolate icing, they turn it down. Once you're hooked on good quality icing, you just can't ever go back to canned.
- Place butter or margarine in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Beat on low until softened.
- Add vanilla.
- Add confectioner's sugar, about 1 cup at a time, and beat on low (to avoid poofs of sugar everywhere).
- Scrape down the beaters and bowl.
- Add cocoa powder and mix until blended.
- Add a little milk at a time, increasing the speed of the mixer as the chocolate icing becomes creamier.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
The chocolate icing can be thickened by either adding additional sugar or cocoa powder. If you prefer a more chocolately flavor and/or a darker color, use the cocoa powder for thickening and reduce the quantity of powdered sugar by the amount of additional cocoa powder used.
If you want to make this a crusting chocolate buttercream recipe, use half butter and half shortening plus 2 teaspoons of meringue powder.
More Recipes Like This