Best Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This is the best red velvet cake recipe I've ever made. Despite the intense color of this chocolate cake, it's chocolate flavor is actually quite modest.
Red food coloring is largely responsible for the attractive color of this traditional southern delight. Typically, a red velvet cake is frosted with cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease and line 2 - 9" cake pans with parchment paper. Regrease and flour.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour,cocoa powder and salt.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to butter mixture and beat on low. Add half of the buttermilk. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with flour mixture. Add food coloring.
- In a small bowl, comgine the vinegar and baking soda. Add to the cake batter, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pans. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire cake racks.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, fill and frost them with cream cheese icing. Apply chopped pecans to the side of the cake. Decorate the top of the red velvet cake with pecan halves.
- Keep the cake refrigerated until served.
Makes Two 9" cakes
(Have all ingredients at room temperature)
More Recipes Like This