Handpainted Tattoo Topsy Turvy Cake
This Hand Painted Tattoo Topsy Turvy Cake is one of my favorite cakes to date!
It’s an 8″, 6″ and 4″ Topsy Turvy cake covered in hand painted tattoos and painted gum paste roses.
1. Cover a 12" cake board in white fondant and allow to dry.
2. Assemble the cake so the 8" is on the bottom, a foam wedge on top, then the 6" cake followed by another foam wedge, and finally the 4" cake on top. The 8" and 6" cakes should have dowels cut to fit beneath the cake above it. I used foam wedges in between the layers to create the toppling over effect, but it’s actually very sturdy.
3. On the cake board, around the base of the cake, paint black lines that extend away from the cake, as shown.
4. For the tattoos, I rolled thin fondant and painted directly onto it with gel food coloring thinned down with some vodka (alcohol evaporates and leaves color behind) then cut the shape out and applied them to the cake. Dust your work surface with cornstarch to make the fondant pieces easy to move. Paint first and then use a fondant knife to cut out the shape. Brush the area of the cake where the tattoo will be applied with a little water and place the tattoo on the cake. I did it this way instead of painting directly onto he cake because I felt I had more control and room for error (which happened, trust me...lol).
5. I then filled any white spaces with more color and detail.
6. Make enough red roses to cover each wedge and create a topper. I decided to paint the edges of the roses black to give them a more “tattoo-ish” look. I really like the way they turned out. Attach them to the wedges closely together.
7. On the top of the cake, the roses were formed in a mound.
8. Two roses were grouped together at the bottom of the cake.
9. Finish the edge of the cake board with red ribbon.
This Topsy Turvy Tattoo Cake was especially fun for me because I love to paint yet don’t have time to anymore so it was a win win situation.
|This hand painted tattoo topsy turvy cake was decorated by Jessica from Houston|
More Articles Like This